XtraGrass – Reinforced natural grass turf
XtraGrass is a natural grass turf reinforced with artificial fibres to give a winning formula of great natural grass playability and a surface that is much more resistant to wear. Developed and refined over the last 10 years, XtraGrass is a unique and patented turf reinforcement system which provides the flexibility to adapt to the unique differences that exist at every location. It is the perfect solution for clubs that find it difficult to maintain a natural grass pitch but do not want, or are not permitted, to play on a 100% artificial turf pitch.
The XtraGrass system can be easily installed on site, requiring only standard pitch installation equipment and utilising a high proportion of local labour. It typically takes the same length of time to install as a standard grass pitch. However, for those clubs in a hurry, XtraGrass is also grown offsite and can be playable within days of installation. This has enormous advantages for clubs who need to partially or completely re-turf their pitch mid season.
The Best of Both worlds
The integration of the best performance characteristics from both natural and synthetic turf provides a higher quality, year round playing surface designed for heavily used stadium, practice and recreational facilities.
XTRAGRASS – the concept
The synthetic turf fibres protect the grass root zone. The reinforcement of the sandy top layer of natural turf will keep the surface even and stable during intensive use and bad weather conditions. The synthetic turf fibres are woven into a partially biodegradable backing, which creates a grid of large uniform voids through which plant roots grow and moisture and nutrients flow. The open structure and the strong monofilament fibres in the fabric will allow all normal maintenance including verti-draining.
XtraGrass can be installed with local top layers and sub base constructions, including those with shock absorbing materials. It can also be grown in a section or divot format for easy and quick replacement.
is a perfect solution
XtraGrass was tested and is under testing by accredited testing institutes like STRI in England, ISA in the Netherlands and Labosport in France. Results show that this reinforced system meets the standards set for international football as a synthetic turf only.
OPERATIONAL BENEFITS OF XTRAGRASS
- Installation – XtraGrass is simple to install, requiring only standard pitch construction equipment and utilising a high proportion of local staff – all of the specialist input is undertaken at the factory where XtraGrass is manufactured.
- Speed – If installation is needed in a hurry, pre-grown XtraGrass Turf Rolls can be laid very quickly and in playable within days.
- Timing – Unlike other grass reinforcement systems, where expensive specialist machines have to be booked months in advance, XtraGrass can be installed at the time that is most convenient for the grounds staff and club.
- Maintenance – XtraGrass uses a standard rootzone mixture which retains nutrients and water. This compares to other reinforcement systems that demand a sand based pitch profile and require a costly intensive maintenance and fertilisation regime.
- Aeration – XtraGrass allows aeration using standard maintenance equipment and this ensures the surface remains in top condition. By contrast, aeration is much harder to achieve with other grass reinforcement systems.
- Re-turfing – If, for some reason, part of the surface has to be replaced, this can be done very easily and quickly with XtraGrass. For other turf reinforcement systems this can present a major problem. It can result in the damaged areas being replaced with standard natural turf which will wear at a much faster rate than the surrounding reinforced area.
- Aesthetics – Even when the natural grass is worn, the pitch will still have a good visual appearance to both spectators and to TV cameras due to the green synthetic fibres showing through the surface.
FINANCIAL BENEFITS OF XTRAGRASS
- Initial Cost – XtraGrass is much more cost effective to install and maintain than other turf reinforcement systems, sometimes by as much as half the price.
- On-going Costs – Once installed, XtraGrass costs no more than a standard grass pitch to maintain. By comparison, some other turf reinforcement systems need an intensive maintenance and fertilisation regime, significantly increasing on-going input and labour costs.
- Equipment Costs – There is no requirement for specialist maintenance equipment with XtraGrass.
- End of Life Costs – As XtraGrass is 100% recyclable, there is no end cost liability for disposal. Other turf reinforcement systems require specialist removal and separation along with the disposal of an additional 1,000 m³ of rootzone infill, creating a significant end of life financial liability.
- Training Centre Costs – As XtraGrass allows much higher pitch usage it may be possible to reduce the size/number of pitches at the training facilities, thereby reducing on-going maintenance costs.
- Revenue Generation – The resilience of XtraGrass, allows the pitch to be used for some additional events on non match days, including corporate football days, concerts and public meetings, generating additional revenue for the club.
ENVIRONMENTAL BENEFITS OF XTRAGRASS
We focus our research and development on the application of innovative and environmentally-friendly production solutions related to sustainable product development inspired by nature. As a response to social change and environmental demands, XtraGrass – an environmentally-friendly mixture of natural and artificial turf which is 100% recyclable. GreenFields and TenCate have developed a patented weaving technique. Through this manufacturing process it is possible to use the materials from the same product family; that is polypropylene and polyethylene. As a consequence, all the components of synthetic turf, the backing as well as the fibres, can be made of the same material making the synthetic turf 100% recyclable.
Besides the required technical standards, this patented weaving technique offers many additional advantages compared to the conventional method of producing synthetic turf. It allows for a higher density (dTex), an enhanced tuft binding (better resilience), and the combination of various fibre types and different fibre heights in one system (natural look and feel). And even more important, it will contribute enormously to the playing characteristics of our Green Generation products.
- Consistency – XtraGrass provides a consistently high quality playing surface year round – traction, pitch hardness and bounce tests all come out well with XtraGrass.
- Reduced Risk – The risk of injury caused by an uneven surface and divots are eliminated – the XtraGrass structure ensures the pitch stays divot free throughout the year.
- Training – Players can train on the pitch they play matches on – at many clubs the main pitch has to be preserved for matchdays only. By enabling players to train on the main pitch, it gives them an intangible advantage over their opponents who are less familiar with the exact pitch dimensions and playing surface.
- Weather – Even under wet conditions, players are much less likely to slip and fall on XtraGrass as the playing surface retains its stability at all times.
IN SHORT THE BENEFITS ARE:
- Efficient Production – with a new 24,000 m² manufacturing facilities designed to the highest environmental standards this has enabled GreenFields to reduce energy and water consumption, carbon dioxide emissions and waste and waste water.
- 100% Recyclable – Other turf reinforcement products often comprise of more than one type of material making separation and therefore recycling very difficult. To overcome this problem XtraGrass uses the same material in the fibres and backing eliminating the need for separation and making it 100% recyclable.
- Maximising Local Labour Input – By focussing the technology at the factory, this means that only a few skilled installers are required to travel to the site. All of the additional labour can be sourced locally, cutting down the carbon footprint generated by unnecessary travel.